Monday, August 31, 2026

The Guardian just published a profile of our campaign.



The Guardian just published a profile of our campaign.

Here’s the headline: “Can a former fry cook flip a key district for Democrats?”

The Guardian: From McDonald's to Congress, can a former fry cook flip a key district for Democrats? Manny Rutinel hopes price-tag politics can win key voters in Colorado House race. Photos show Manny Rutinel and his previous job at McDonald's.

That fry cook is me.

And my story has led me to this moment:

When I was 10 years old, I filled out my first food stamp and Medicaid form. My mom was an immigrant, raising me on her own, working hard every single day. By the time I graduated high school, I had already put in two years behind a McDonald’s register.

I sold my own blood plasma so many times to help cover the bills that it left a permanent scar on my arm.

I worked through community college, then an associate’s degree, then a bachelor’s degree, then a master’s at Johns Hopkins, then Yale Law School — working multiple jobs the entire way.

Manny Rutinel in cap and gown standing with his mother outside Yale Law School

Today I’m a state legislator, and I’m running for Congress in what’s rated one of the closest, most competitive House races in the entire country. Before I continue, I have to ask: can you chip in $25 to Equality PAC and my campaign to help me flip this House seat?

Manny Rutinel smiling inside the Colorado State Capitol

The Guardian’s reporters spent real time with me to understand why the affordability crisis isn’t a talking point for me. It’s my whole life.

Here’s what I told them: “Sometimes you hear politicians talk about the affordability crisis, like they just read it in a memo somewhere. But for me, it’s deeply personal.”

While serving in the state legislature, I co‑sponsored more than 400 laws to build a more affordable Colorado — expanding the earned income tax credit, creating a family affordability tax credit, and establishing Colorado’s first child tax credit.

Those laws helped cut child poverty in Colorado by nearly 40%. Colorado now has the lowest childhood poverty rate of any state in America.

My opponent, Gabe Evans, has a very different record. He’s taken hundreds of thousands of dollars from the same corporate PACs that are driving up the cost of groceries, healthcare, and gas for families across our district. We rely on grassroots donors for our support.

National reporters are paying attention to this race because it will decide who controls the House majority.

As I told The Guardian: “I think folks feel like they’ve been lied to, and what they’re looking for are leaders who have the lived experience of working people, understand their struggles, and have a track record of fighting for them.”

Can you chip in $5 today to my campaign and Equality PAC to help me keep telling this story through Election Day?

DONATE $5 →

Thank you for reading, and thank you for standing with working families like the one I grew up in.

— Manny

If you really want to go, click here to unsubscribe from our activist list.

No comments: